Duck with Orange Sauce (A Recipe by John Roach)
Hi there. I have just cooked a duck!! Before you start cooking remember that duck is very very very oily!! In fact, this recipe is to deal with that aspect of the duck. So let’s get on with the recipe.
The total cooking time is 2 hours and 40 minutes. Preparing time took around 30 minutes. Make sure that the first 120 minutes of the duck recipe should be cooked closed!!
The first step is to prepare the mixture that will be poured around and in the duck ;
- 1 cup orange juice
- 1/2 cup lemon juice
- 1/2 table spoon honey
Mix the above ingredients well. Make sure the honey gets melted within the mixture.
Now on to the duck, take the following steps ;
- Remove any extra fat.
- Remove the tail
- Re-clean the duck
- Put in the cavity of the duck one half of an orange. Quarter the slices so the juices will go around more freely.
- Ready the pan. I used aluminium on the bottom part of the pan and put a cooking paper on top of it and put the duck on top of the cooking paper. That way it was easier to clean the pan.
- Put the in the pan. Pour the orange juice within and around the duck. Message the duck with the sauce. Of you have a cooking syringe try to inject some to the breasts of the duck for extra taste.
- Pour some garlic powder on top of the dark. Rub it in but make sure you don’t put too muck. Garlic tends to make heavy food taste heavier. ( At least that is how I feel. )
- On top of the bird sprinkle some sea salt and paprika be generous with it since most of them will wash away with fat that sweats from the bird.
Ok. Once you get all that ready your oven to 175°C. While that is warming up make yourself a basking sauce which you will bask the duck every 25 minutes. The basking sauce contains
- 1 lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon honey
So start cooking. Make sure that the first 120 minutes of the duck should be cooked closed!! Just cover it with more aluminium foil. And don’t forget to bask it with the lemon honey mixture every 25 minutes. Next to it cook some rice and put a potato for each person in the oven to eat with sour-cream. It will be a good idea to cook light stuff that will go next to the duck.
Hope you like it as much as I did.